The Sewtionary Blog Tour

September 15, 2014

I am so honored to be the next stop on The Sewtionary Blog Tour! Written by the lovely Tasia of the pattern company Sewaholic, this book is an absolute must in your stash. I don't say that lightly and I don't agree to review books from friends if I don't honestly believe what I'm saying.

What is a Border Print

Inseam Pockets vs. Slash Pockets

I love reference books and they are the ones I go back to over and over again. I have a ton of vintage ones, and of course my own book, but from doing a similarly styled book, I know A) how hard they are to do, and B) how hard it is to include everything. No book will fill every need, so having a few to refer to is really a lifesaver.

How to sew a Godet - How to sew a Narrow Hem
How to sew a Bound Buttonhole - What is Hair Canvas

You might remember that I actually got Tasia's book back in Pittsburgh during Quilt Market, when I was lucky enough to meet her in real life and get it signed before it was even widely available. Tasia is so nice in real life and I am really happy for her and how great her book turned out.

How to sew Belt Loops - How to sew a Blanket Stitch
How to make Piping - How to sew with Knit Fabric

What will you find inside? Conveniently organized alphabetically, you will learn all about basic things like how to finish seams, to far more advanced topics like pad stitching and transforming a bodice with darts to a bodice with princess seams. Really helpful!

How to change Darts into Princess Seams - How to change the Seam Allowance on a pattern
How to make a Tailor's Ham - How to Understitch a facing

All the photos are very clear and give you tremendous details, making each step really easy to follow. The book itself is large and hard cover, but with a helpful spiral ring hidden on the inside, so the pages lay nice and flat when you are using the book.

How to sew Bias Tape - How to sew Exposed Elastic to an opening

I cannot suggest this book enough and recommend you get it to learn all the A to Z's of sewing! Want to know even more about the book and have a chance to win one? Check out all the other stops on The Sewtionary Blog Tour at these blogs below:

Moving Slowly

September 12, 2014

It's been a bit quiet here lately, and that's partly due to the upcoming pattern and all the other things I'm working on behind the scenes, but it's also due to a bit of emotional strain as of late. I don't get too personal here on the blog; I try to reveal just enough to give you all a taste of who I really am and what my life is like, without steering too far from the topic at hand, which is sewing.

But I do feel like an explanation is in order, as if you see me lately, I might seem a bit off of my usual self. The reason is that earlier this week I went home to be with my family as we put my late father's ashes to rest. He's been gone since 2006 but we never did anything with the ashes until now. It has been a wonderful moment to bond even closer to my family and to remember a man we all loved, but it has brought out a lot of sadness and emotion and I'm finding it hard to hide, so I thought it best to openly talk about it.

My dad was a man of the water, a former Navy man that loved the lake and boats, and so it is fitting that he is now a permanent part of Lake Michigan, where we spent many family hours when I was growing up and where he and my mom continued to go even after my brother and I had moved away to distant shores.

So needless to say I am moving at a slower pace right now. The Marianne Dress pattern is ready to go, I just need to finalize a few last touches before sending it to print to make sure I've caught every mistake so it is perfect. I'm not rushing myself and had wanted it to be out by now, but I'm moving along and allowing myself to live beyond my work.

Thanks everyone for your understanding <3